Irvine, CA asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: My husband divorced me after 20 years of marriage without my consent and did not serve me papers

I did not know I was divorced until many years later when I found out he was cheating on me and I went to an attorney to get legal advice. I was told he got all the assets and full custody, my two younger kids were 15 and 13, he never gave me a penny for alimony and used my kids against me esp my adult daughter who was 19 at that time.

I am traumatized and alienated from kids, can I take him to court for fraud and illegal divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your husband divorced you without your knowledge and consent, it may be possible to challenge the validity of the divorce proceedings in California. You should consult with an attorney to review the specific details of your case and explore potential legal actions, such as seeking to nullify the divorce or addressing issues related to asset distribution and custody. Time limitations may apply, so it's important to act promptly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.