Winchester, CA asked in Tax Law, Banking, Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: My bank account got FTB legal order on hold fund due to my husband not paying the tax, but we are separated

My husband and I are separated. After he stopped paying monthly support, I filed legally separated, and the court has ordered him to pay support, but he closed all the bank accounts (including joint accounts) and hiding outside of the US after selling his inheritance house. After filed separation, I applied SSI and opened a new personal bank account. Last week, my bank got FTB legal order and hold most of my money. My husband didn’t pay tax and still filed married jointly. I only have SSI for my income. Can I still file innocent joint filer relief request? What should I do to keep my money?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may be able to file for innocent joint filer relief to address the tax liability issue caused by your husband's actions. You should consult with an attorney experienced in tax matters to guide you through the process and discuss potential options to release the hold on your bank account. Additionally, consider seeking legal assistance to address the support payment issue and ensure your rights are protected during your separation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.