Woodland Hills, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Immigration Law for California

Q: Can I work with a company with government projects on a pending 485 status and EAD card?

My Green card application is pending and I have a valid EAD card. Recently I was interviewed by a company that handles government projects. Can that company hire me with my current status?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under federal law, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) provides the holder with authorization to work in the United States for any employer. In California, as long as you have a valid EAD card, you are generally permitted to work. However, certain government projects may have specific requirements or restrictions, particularly if they involve sensitive or classified information. The hiring company will need to ensure that you meet any specific criteria they have, especially if it's related to security clearances or other federal mandates. If the position requires a security clearance, there may be restrictions or additional requirements. It's essential to discuss your status openly with the potential employer to ensure compliance. Additionally, always ensure your EAD remains valid and renew it as needed. Consulting with an immigration attorney can provide further clarity regarding your specific situation and any potential concerns.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.