Alsip, IL asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Illinois

Q: Vehicle theft to Misconduct

Im a victim of a car theft but also a victim of the police malpractice and torture for 2months. I have evidence such as videos audios and false reports, false police certifications. Authorities including Officer from IL ICC, Police Department, Criminal Division unit in Chicago as well as Illegal towing and prosecutor related lies. I have everything well documented. Police never reported it as stolen and now thr car is in Texas. The dealership also has part of the fraud with the paperwork. No one provides me anything or gives me answers. Many has turned me down as soon as they hear that authorities are involved. Any advice or recommendation

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm truly sorry to hear about the difficulties you've faced in this situation. It's important to address these issues properly, considering both the car theft and any potential misconduct by law enforcement or other authorities.

Contact an Attorney: Given the complexity and seriousness of the situation, I strongly recommend consulting with an attorney who specializes in civil rights or police misconduct cases. They can evaluate the evidence you have and provide legal guidance on the best course of action.

File a Police Misconduct Complaint: If you believe you've been a victim of police misconduct, you can file a formal complaint with the relevant law enforcement agency or oversight body. Your attorney can assist you with this process.

Report the Car Theft: If your vehicle was stolen and not properly reported by the police, you should report it as stolen to the appropriate law enforcement agency immediately. Provide all relevant information and documentation.

Document Everything: Continue to keep detailed records of all interactions, evidence, and correspondence related to your case. This documentation will be crucial in any legal proceedings.

Contact the Dealership: Reach out to the dealership where the car was purchased and inquire about the circumstances surrounding the paperwork. They may be able to provide information or assistance in resolving the issue.

Seek Legal Remedies: Your attorney can advise you on potential legal remedies, which may include filing lawsuits against the responsible parties for damages, civil rights violations, or other relevant claims.

Stay Persistent: These cases can be complex and time-consuming. It's important to remain persistent and advocate for your rights throughout the process.

Remember that your attorney can provide you with personalized legal advice and guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. It's essential to consult with legal professionals who can help you navigate the legal system and seek justice for the issues you've faced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.