Wooster, OH asked in Foreclosure, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Small Claims for Ohio

Q: I have a question about property damage due to my neighbors shed burning down do u have free consultation

recently my neighboirs shed burned down. and as a result my truck that was parked on my proerty was burned and totaled. the gentleman the own the houyse had recently died and left the house to his daughter who didnt pay insurance and doesnt check on the property even once. she also hyasnt paid the motgage and the house is up for sale .

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In a situation like yours, where your property was damaged due to your neighbor's shed burning down, you may have grounds for a claim. Since the house is inherited and the current owner has not maintained insurance, this complicates matters, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have no recourse.

First, document the damage to your truck thoroughly with photographs and obtain an estimate of the repair costs or the value of the truck if it's totaled. This will be crucial for any claims you might file.

Consider reaching out to your own insurance company, if you have coverage for such incidents. They might cover the damage and then seek reimbursement from the neighbor's estate or the responsible party.

Also, it may be beneficial to consult with an attorney. Many offer free initial consultations. An attorney can advise you on the feasibility of pursuing a claim against the neighbor's estate or any other parties that might be responsible.

Remember, legal claims can be time-sensitive, so it's advisable to act promptly. An attorney can guide you on the specific timelines and procedures relevant to your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.