Scottsville, KY asked in Consumer Law, Small Claims, Contracts and Collections for Kentucky

Q: MCM (debt Coll.) trying to sue me for over a yr. they want a bench trial, what are my next steps?

KY Attorneys Only: *cannot afford attorney, SAHM* MCM has been trying to sue me for cc debt for over a yr. I answered the summons, and everything else like I’m supposed to and never heard back for almost a year. My circuit court sent me a notice to dismiss due to MCM lack of prosecution in a week. But MCM sent me a letter today with a motion to keep it on the docket for a bench trial. They also sent an order that is not signed by the district judge that is confirming the motion. I’m not entirely sure what to do next, especially considering my legal government name is incorrect on these documents. Am I supposed to go on the 6th for the decision? What are my next steps? Should I contact the clerks office for what to do next? File to force it out of court with the arbitration agreement clause? This just all feels very scammy of them considering the past cases I’ve read of theirs. Also, it will soon become uncollectible (statute of limitations).

1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: There are people in your town who know what to do. Lawyers. Hire one, because no amount of internet questions and answers is going to get you to the level of knowledge you will need to successfully represent yourself at trial.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.