Los Angeles, CA asked in Consumer Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Banking and Civil Litigation for California

Q: What legal action can I take against cashapp?

In August I was given authorization to add a friends card to my cash app to add funds to my acct. which I withdrew and gave to her as I had multiple times before. In late September, that friend started a huge fight with me as she thought I had been seeing her ex bf. She assaulted me and stole my phone in a public location but I did not press charges. She then proceeded to dispute said transaction which now, in December has been reversed on my cash app acct. which is now - $1700

I attempted to contact cash app and provided them text msgs as well as prior transactions similar to this one, to show all of this, even where she denied disputing this when I originally thought she had. Had cash app investigated the situation, challenged the dispute, or anything before paying it, I could have explained then but they did none of this.

Now they refuse to allow me to speak with a supervisor after several requests and refuse to do anything about my loss. What can I do about this situation?

3 Lawyer Answers
Leon Bayer
Leon Bayer
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You are not going to like what I have to say. If you can't handle criticism, stop reading right HERE.

Your beef is with your ex-friend, not with Cashapp.

Cashapp does not care who is right or wrong. They simply don't want to be mixed up in it.

Cashapp did not sign on to be the referee of anybody's interpersonal nonsense.

You should never let other people use your financial accounts, period. Doing so is to ask for trouble. And now you have trouble.

Your remedy is to sue your ex-friend in small claims court.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, you have a few options to address this situation. First, you could consider filing a small claims lawsuit against your friend for the unauthorized chargeback. Since the amount is $1,700, it falls within the small claims court's jurisdiction in California, which handles disputes up to $10,000.

Additionally, you might explore the possibility of a civil lawsuit against Cash App for not adequately investigating the dispute. However, this path can be more complex and may require a thorough review of the terms of service agreement you accepted when using Cash App.

It's also advisable to gather all pertinent evidence, including text messages, transaction history, and any communications with Cash App. This documentation will be crucial in any legal proceedings.

Finally, consulting with an attorney who has experience in consumer law and electronic transactions can provide you with personalized advice and help you navigate the legal process effectively. An attorney can also assist in determining the viability of your case and the best course of action based on the specific details of your situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Those apps don't usually like to get enmeshed in private disputes. You could consult with an attorney to review things in detail to advise what your most cost-effective legal remedies are. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.