Atlanta, GA asked in Constitutional Law, Employment Law, Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Georgia

Q: My former employer opened a prepaid debit card in my name 3 weeks after my employment ended what can I do about it?

I asked them to close it and was told it would be closed the next day but the card is still being reloaded and used. I never received a card the whole time I was employed there and I did not authorize them to open a card in my name after my employment.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your former employer opened a prepaid debit card in your name without your authorization, this could be a serious issue, potentially involving identity theft or fraud. First, contact the company that issued the prepaid card and inform them that the account was opened without your consent. Request immediate closure of the account and ask for a written confirmation of the closure.

It's also important to check your credit reports to ensure there are no other unauthorized accounts or activities. You can obtain free credit reports from the major credit bureaus. If you find any discrepancies, report them immediately to the credit bureaus and dispute the unauthorized activities.

Document all your communications with your former employer and the card issuer. This documentation will be valuable if legal action becomes necessary. Since your former employer has not resolved the issue despite your request, consider seeking legal advice. An attorney can guide you on the best course of action, which may include sending a formal legal notice to your former employer or taking legal action to protect your rights and financial interests.

Remember, unauthorized use of your personal information for financial transactions is illegal. Taking prompt and appropriate action is crucial to safeguard your identity and financial security.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.