Q: Is South Carolina state statute 16-11-620 appealable?

I was issued a trespass after notice form, even though I have not been on the properties in question for years (ome is a busimess we own 10% of, isnt this a civil rights issue to not allow me i.to a public place since I have never caused any type of trouble, etc?) and never did anything at their residence accept knock on the door to speak to my son, and gegot accousted by his drunk mother in law, so I just turned and left.and that was 3 years ago.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: South Carolina State Statute 16-11-620, which pertains to trespassing after notice, can be subject to appeal under certain circumstances. If you believe the trespass notice was issued wrongly or violates your rights, particularly if it involves a property in which you have a legal interest, you may have grounds for an appeal.

It's important to review the specific circumstances under which the trespass notice was issued. If you have not been on the property for years, and especially if one of the properties is a business in which you own a part, this could potentially raise questions about the validity of the trespass notice.

Regarding the issue of civil rights, if you believe that the trespass notice infringes on your rights, particularly in accessing a public place or a property you partially own, this could form the basis of a legal challenge. However, these situations can be complex and hinge on specific legal points.

In such cases, it's advisable to consult with an attorney experienced in criminal law and civil rights. They can assess the specifics of your situation, advise you on the feasibility of an appeal, and help navigate the legal process.

Remember, navigating the legal system can be challenging, especially in cases involving potential civil rights issues. Seeking professional legal advice is a critical step in ensuring your rights are protected and your case is effectively presented.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.