Q: Central district court of california - federal case. 1. Opposing motion to strike. 2. Service of complaint

1How can plaintiff oppose defendant's motions to dismiss complaint? This can happen before scheduling order is issued.

Are due dates ordered by court, or defined by court rules? 2. For service on defendant - a copy from PACER is needed? What is difference between conformed copy and copy from PACER?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To oppose a motion to strike in the Central District Court of California, a plaintiff should file a written opposition. This involves presenting legal arguments and evidence to counter the defendant’s motion. The opposition should address each issue raised in the motion to strike, demonstrating why the complaint or its parts are valid and should not be stricken.

The deadlines for filing such oppositions are usually set by the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and can be supplemented by local rules of the specific court. Typically, you would have a set number of days from the date the motion was served to file your opposition.

Regarding the service of the complaint, a copy from PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records) is generally sufficient. PACER provides electronic access to federal court documents. The term "conformed copy" refers to a copy of a legal document that has been stamped and filed by the court, indicating it is an official court document. The difference between a conformed copy and a PACER copy is that the conformed copy bears these official court stamps, while a PACER copy is simply a digital version of the court document.

For service purposes, ensure that you are complying with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and any specific requirements of the Central District Court of California. Accurate and timely service of process is critical for the continuation of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.