Q: Federal case filing and serving question

Complaint and Summons that Plaintiff has to serve on Defendant will be downloadable from PACER?

Is it the same that conformed copy?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In a federal case, once the complaint and summons are filed, they can indeed be accessed through PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records). PACER is a comprehensive source for federal court documents, including filed complaints and summons.

It's important to note that the documents downloaded from PACER are generally considered to be true and accurate copies of the court records. However, they may not be the "conformed copies." A conformed copy is a copy of a legal document that has been stamped and endorsed to show it's a true copy of the court's original document.

When it comes to serving the complaint and summons on the defendant, you should use the copies that comply with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and the specific requirements of the court in which you're filing. This often means using copies that have the court's stamp or seal, indicating they are official documents.

Remember to always check the local court rules and the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure for any specific requirements regarding the preparation and service of these documents. If there's any uncertainty, it's a good practice to reach out to the court clerk or consider consulting with peers for clarity.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.