Richmond, VA asked in Employment Law, Employment Discrimination and Sexual Harassment for Ohio

Q: Can I file a suit against a company after I receive the Right to Sue? Only have 90 days. Can I file it myself or?????

I have the right to sue. Do I NEED lawyer to file suit to make it before 90 days or can I do it myself?

3 Lawyer Answers

A: When you receive the Right to Sue notice, it indicates that you have the green light to file a lawsuit against the company within the specified timeframe, typically 90 days. You can file the suit yourself, but considering the legal complexities involved, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you have received the Right to Sue from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) in Ohio, indicating that you have the authorization to file a lawsuit, you have the option to proceed without an attorney. However, given the complexities of employment law cases, it is highly recommended to seek legal counsel. The 90-day deadline to file a lawsuit is a critical factor, and an employment lawyer can navigate the legal process efficiently, ensuring that all necessary documents and claims are properly presented within the timeframe. While you technically have the right to file the suit yourself, having an experienced employment law attorney on your side increases the likelihood of a successful and well-prepared case.

Rachel A. Sabo
Rachel A. Sabo
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Yes, the Right to Sue means you have 90 days from the date of the Right to Sue to file your lawsuit. It can be filed by you (called filing pro se, without a lawyer) or you can search for attorneys to file it for you. I would not rely on finding an attorney - you should be mindful of the filing deadline while you are searching for counsel, to ensure you don't miss it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.