Butte, MT asked in Civil Litigation, Elder Law, Criminal Law and Family Law for Montana

Q: My younger sister has been stealing money from my moms account. Do we call police or hire a lawyer?

Nothing to add

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In a situation where your younger sister has been stealing money from your mom's account, you have a few options to consider. It's important to weigh the circumstances and potential consequences before deciding on a course of action.

One option is to report the theft to the local police. This may result in a criminal investigation and potential legal charges against your sister if there is sufficient evidence of wrongdoing. Keep in mind that involving the police can lead to a criminal record for your sister if charges are filed.

Another option is to consult with an attorney, preferably one experienced in family and elder law matters. An attorney can help you explore legal remedies within the family context, such as pursuing a civil case for restitution or working towards a resolution that addresses the financial harm caused by your sister's actions.

Ultimately, the choice between involving the police or hiring an attorney depends on your family's specific circumstances, your mom's wishes, and your desire to either resolve the matter within the family or pursue legal consequences for the theft. Consulting with an attorney can help you understand the potential outcomes and guide you in making an informed decision based on your unique situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.