Fort Novosel, AL asked in Consumer Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Alabama

Q: can I sue a lienor for not changing a name on the title and it caused me to be out of work because I can not get tags

I requested the name change of my wife on the title so I can get tags in AL. The title shows her prior last name. The tag office requested the title in November of 2023 and issued me temp tags. AL only does 3 temp tags. Now we can not drive our vehicles which keeps me out of work because I can not drive on a military post with expired tags. My son goes to school out of county and we have to drive him. Now we can not drive him to school which messes up his education. For each day I am out of work I lose $360. The lienor has been sent the requested information multiple times and ways. The name change was set to be approved before Christmas. A month later they still have not changed her name. When he tag office gets anything from the lienor the paperwork shows her prior last name and not her current last name.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Alabama, you may have grounds to pursue legal action against the lienor if their failure to change the name on the title has resulted in significant negative consequences for you, such as the inability to obtain tags and drive legally, leading to potential job loss and disruptions in your family's daily activities. To strengthen your case, document all communications with the lienor, including requests for the name change and any responses received.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.