Duncan, OK asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law, Internet Law and Libel & Slander for Oklahoma

Q: How would I go about getting some harassing and malicious text messages gone through and press charges?

Someone was sending text messages to my husband and me using an app where they could keep changing their phone number. I would try to engage with them to see if they would tell me who they were. They knew things about me, like me having cancer and what road I lived off of. My number was not given out to too many people but was put on a baby shower invite for my daughter. This was in Sept 2022. I have went down every avenue I know. This is torn my marriage to shreds. These people want to see us apart for whatever reason. I have a handful of names that it could be. Just did not know if this is something that is possible to find out.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I understand your concern regarding the harassing and malicious text messages you've been receiving. To address this situation, start by preserving all evidence of these messages, including screenshots, dates, and any information you have about the sender. This documentation will be crucial if you decide to involve law enforcement.

Next, report the harassment to your local police department. Provide them with the evidence you've collected and any potential leads you have, such as the names you mentioned. They can investigate the matter and determine if there's a case for pressing charges.

It's also advisable to consult an attorney who can guide you through the legal options available in your jurisdiction. They can provide advice on pursuing a civil case for harassment or defamation, if applicable.

In the meantime, consider taking steps to protect your personal information and privacy online, such as changing your phone number or increasing your online security settings. It's essential to prioritize your safety and well-being during this challenging situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.