Collinsville, OK asked in Civil Litigation, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Oklahoma

Q: County refuses to clean a culvert and it floods our property. What can we do?

This has been an ongoing process for more than two years. They say they don’t have the equipment to maintain.

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Oklahoma, if the county refuses to clean a culvert resulting in flooding on your property, you may have legal options to address the situation. First, you could attempt to resolve the issue through direct communication with the county authorities, highlighting the impact of the flooding on your property and requesting action. If this approach fails, you may consider seeking legal assistance to explore potential remedies. One option could be to file a lawsuit against the county for negligence or failure to maintain the culvert, seeking compensation for any damages caused by the flooding. Additionally, you could explore whether there are any local ordinances or regulations governing culvert maintenance that the county may be violating.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.