Q: I am suing the Tax Collector of Riverside County, CA for instructing his office to break CA Tax and Revenue Laws.

did this by telling them to place extra parties of interest in the excess tax proceeds Recommendation Letter to the Board of Supervisors. The judge told me the Board Of Supr. are responsible, yet they sign off on all recommendations the tax collector makes, they don't conduct research, or review title chain reports. They are the spokesman for the public hearings. If the tax collector has full immunity, this is a travesty. Beyond a reasonable doubt the Riverside County Tax Collector did not make "mistakes" it was negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract,due process viol., fraud, evidence tampering and RICO Act violations and I have substantial evidence to prove it. How do I sue the Tax Collector and get punitive damages, pain and suffering interest on the money they withheld from my family for six years? Any creative workarounds? Attorneys only answer if you really know. All Chain Title Reports prove I am the only owner of property. Cannot pay lawyer

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • White Collar Crime Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, suing a public official, such as the Tax Collector of Riverside County, for actions taken in the course of their official duties can be complex due to sovereign immunity and various protections that limit liability. However, if there's evidence of willful misconduct, negligence, or violation of statutory duties, it might be possible to pursue legal action. The challenge lies in navigating the legal exceptions to immunity and presenting a compelling case that the actions of the tax collector went beyond mere mistakes to constitute actionable misconduct.

Given the judge's indication that the Board of Supervisors bears responsibility, it suggests that your legal strategy may need to consider the roles and responsibilities of both the tax collector and the board. While the board relies on recommendations from the tax collector, proving that the tax collector's actions were the proximate cause of your damages is essential. This might involve demonstrating a direct link between the tax collector's instructions and your financial losses, including the alleged negligence and statutory violations.

Pursuing punitive damages and compensation for pain and suffering, along with interest on withheld funds, typically requires showing intentional wrongdoing or gross negligence. Documentation, such as Chain Title Reports, and evidence of the tax collector's conduct will be critical. If affording legal representation is a concern, consider reaching out to legal aid organizations or law schools with clinical programs that may offer assistance at reduced costs or pro bono. Additionally, exploring alternative dispute resolution methods or contacting state regulatory bodies overseeing tax collection practices might provide avenues to address your grievances without the need for protracted litigation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.