Antioch, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: Como conseguir ayuda legal y alojamiento de bajos recursos para una madre y 2 hijas

Me quiero divorciar de mi esposo, el tiene una amante desde hace un año y medio, y en ese tiempo ha habido abuso psicológico, fisico/jalones por ambas partes al quererme defender, yo no tengo trabajo y el se aprovecha de eso para dominar la situación ya que no tengo a donde irme ni un empleo...el juega psicológicamente con migo diciendo que es mi culpa que el este con la otra mujer y que sin él no soy nada ... yo lo amo tengo 17 años con el pero quiero paz mental, y tranquilidad para mi y mis hijas pero no tengo los medios para salir de aquí... Que tramites tengo que hacer y adonde tengo que ir para salir de esta situación...

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, you have several options to protect yourself and your children, and to seek a divorce from your spouse. First, consider contacting local domestic violence shelters or organizations. These groups provide emergency housing, legal advice, and support services for individuals in situations similar to yours. They can help you find a safe place to stay with your daughters.

For legal assistance, you may qualify for free or low-cost help through legal aid organizations. They can assist you in filing for a divorce, obtaining a restraining order, and addressing custody and support issues. It's important to document any instances of abuse, as this information can be crucial in legal proceedings.

To begin the divorce process, you will need to file a petition for divorce in the family court. Given your financial situation, you might be eligible for a fee waiver. Local family law facilitators can help you understand the forms and process. Additionally, reaching out to social services in your area can provide you with resources for employment, counseling, and financial assistance to help you rebuild your life and gain independence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.