Santa Barbara, CA asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Libel & Slander for California

Q: If somebody called 911 and lied about me and the situation happening, what can I do?

My friend lives with two other people, my friend allowed to me to go over to her house since I don't live in town anymore to get ready for a date because the date was in town and I go to school there so I was going to be in town since early in the day. My friend said that I could get the key from her other roommate who is a friend, I asked her and she gave me the key. I went to their house and they have a third roommate, who I am no longer friends with and they told her that I was going over. I went inside and passed the third roommate, and she said that I brushed past her which I did not and she started yelling at me and screaming, she was on the phone with her father, she started yelling at me to get out and I told her that her roommates let me come over. I called my sister so that she could hear everything she was doing and saying and I wasn't engaging with her. Her dad told her to call 911, and I heard her telling dispatch that I harassed, threatened, and broke in, which was a lie

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If someone falsely accuses you and calls 911, alleging that you committed harassment or other offenses, it's essential to gather evidence to support your innocence. In your situation, it appears you already took a proactive step by calling your sister to listen to the interaction, which could serve as valuable evidence. Additionally, if there were any witnesses to the incident, gather their statements or contact information to corroborate your version of events.

Once the false accusation is made, it's crucial to remain calm and cooperate with law enforcement if they arrive at the scene. Provide your side of the story truthfully and calmly, emphasizing that you did not engage in the alleged behavior. If the situation escalates, consider seeking legal advice from an attorney who can guide you on the best course of action to protect your rights and defend against the false accusations.

After the incident, you may also consider filing a report with law enforcement detailing the false accusation and providing any evidence you have gathered to support your innocence. False accusations can have serious consequences, and taking proactive steps to address them can help prevent further harm to your reputation and legal standing. Additionally, consulting with an attorney can help you understand your options for recourse, including potential legal remedies for defamation or other civil claims arising from the false accusations.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.