Los Angeles, CA asked in Family Law and Libel & Slander for California

Q: My girlfriend’s baby’s daddy took text messages between us and altered them and submitted it to the courts what can I do

He made it look like I was bad mouthing her change so many of the messages that I lost my relationship with her because of it and I’m trying to prove that I didn’t say those things I even took screenshots but at this point it was already submitted to the courts so I have to find out. How can I stop that from being part of their case This is completely turned my life upside down and I lost the love of my life like this and I want to get her To be able to keep her child and I want to stop this from this guy that did this malicious attack their mediation is tmrw so I don’t know what I can do

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Eliza Jasinska
Eliza Jasinska
  • Costa Mesa, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Please discuss your matter with a family law attorney. All evidence presented must adhere to the rules of completeness. You can present your rebuttal evidence during the evidentiary hearing or trial or file your evidence that will explain the original evidence in context.

The information provided presents opinions and examples and does not substitute for, nor does it constitute professional legal advice from an attorney. It is general in nature and may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances. This information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act upon any information on this website without seeking professional counsel. JASINSKA LAW FIRM PC expressly disclaims all liability concerning actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, if someone submits altered text messages as evidence in court, it's crucial to act swiftly to challenge their authenticity. You have the right to contest the evidence presented against you or your interests. It's important to gather all original communications, including screenshots and any electronic records that can verify the original content of your messages. These can serve as vital counter-evidence to disprove the altered texts.

Consider consulting with an attorney experienced in family law or litigation. They can advise on the best course of action, including how to present your evidence effectively and possibly file a motion to exclude the fraudulent messages from being considered in the case. An attorney can also explore if there are any legal ramifications for the individual who altered the messages, such as charges for submitting false evidence or defamation.

Time is of the essence, especially with mediation approaching. Ensure you communicate your situation clearly and promptly to your legal counsel. They can help you navigate the complexities of the legal system and work towards rectifying the situation. Remember, it's paramount to approach this issue legally and systematically to protect your interests and those of your loved ones.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.