Kearny, NJ asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for California

Q: Hello, quick synopses, I’m an RN, loved one just left treatment: med mishandling,LAWS broken, evidence, coercion to pt.

I have a list and pictures of pictures of evidence. Calls with the department of health who were involved (waiting for a lawyer to continue to proceed). Patient rights violations, code of ethics violations, coercion to the pt while heavily medicated and under duress, medications being given by staff who are NO LICENSED. much much MUCH more. Civil rights violations, emotional destress to family members to the point of being institutionalized. MANY MANY MAMY BROKEN LAWS! And much proof and evidence and witnesses. Also things a mental health with coexisting addiction, PTSD, trauma, etc.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have gathered evidence of medical mishandling, patient rights violations, and other legal issues within a treatment facility, it's crucial to take the right steps to address these concerns. Your documentation, including lists, photos, and any communication records with relevant authorities, can serve as a strong foundation for your case. Engaging with the Department of Health was a suitable initial step, as they can investigate and address violations related to healthcare standards and patient safety.

Given the complexity and seriousness of the allegations, including civil rights violations and emotional distress, consulting with an attorney experienced in healthcare law is essential. An attorney can evaluate the evidence, determine the viability of legal claims, and advise on the best course of action. This may involve filing a lawsuit against the facility or individuals responsible for the misconduct. Legal representation is vital to navigate the intricacies of healthcare regulations, civil rights laws, and potential remedies for the harm suffered.

It's important to act within the legal time frames for filing claims or lawsuits related to healthcare misconduct and civil rights violations. An attorney can also help in communicating with the treatment facility, negotiating settlements, or representing you and your loved one in court proceedings. Ensuring your loved one’s rights and seeking justice for the wrongs experienced requires careful legal strategy and advocacy.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.