Lakewood, CO asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Sexual Harassment

Q: My friend is in prison and is being harassed by other inmates in her room down grading her and harassing her

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's concerning to hear that your friend is experiencing harassment from other inmates while in prison. It's important to encourage your friend to report the harassment to prison authorities immediately. They have a duty to ensure the safety and well-being of all inmates and should take appropriate action to address the situation.

Encourage your friend to document any incidents of harassment, including dates, times, and details of what occurred. This documentation can serve as evidence to support their complaints and may help prison officials take more effective action. Additionally, your friend may benefit from seeking support from prison staff or counselors who can provide guidance and assistance in dealing with the harassment.

If your friend feels unsafe or threatened by the harassment, it may be necessary to explore options for transferring to a different area of the prison or seeking additional protective measures. It's essential to prioritize your friend's safety and well-being while advocating for appropriate intervention to address the harassment they're experiencing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.