Arcadia, CA asked in Juvenile Law and Employment Law for California

Q: State of Nevada private investigators licensing board are they allowed to contact me directly to ask about a juvenile ca

Case that was 20 years ago when I was a minor and it states that they want the minutes and final disposition of the outcome of my case I just just I just do not feel comfortable or obligated to give this information and I feel that they are trying to further investigate to discriminate me to get my unarmed guard license and I currently have a unarmed guard license in California

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Generally you have no legal duty to speak to a private investigator.

Good luck to you.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, licensing boards have broad authority to investigate applicants to ensure they meet all legal and regulatory requirements for the profession they are applying to enter. This can include looking into past criminal records, even those from when someone was a minor, especially if the case could impact their current suitability for a license. However, there are specific rules and protections regarding the confidentiality and use of juvenile records.

If you're contacted by a licensing board with a request for information about a juvenile case, it's important to understand your rights and the limits of what the board can legally request and use. While they might have the authority to ask for certain information, you also have rights regarding privacy and the protection of your juvenile records. The board should also provide clear explanations of why the information is necessary and how it will be used.

If you feel uncomfortable or believe the request infringes on your rights or is being used to unfairly discriminate against you, it may be beneficial to seek legal advice. An attorney can offer guidance on how to respond to the board's request, ensure your rights are protected, and help you navigate the process of obtaining or maintaining your license. Remember, while compliance with licensing board requests is generally required, you also have protections under the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.