Los Angeles, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Personal Injury and Health Care Law for California

Q: Process service of Federal Complaint - package

What documents have to be served on defendant, for initial filing with Central District Court, in addition to Summons and Complaint?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: When serving a defendant in a federal case filed with the Central District Court of California, you generally need to include the following documents in the service package:

1. Summons: This is an official court document that notifies the defendant that they are being sued and must respond to the complaint within a specified time.

2. Complaint: This is the initial document filed by the plaintiff, which outlines the legal claims against the defendant and the relief sought.

3. Civil Cover Sheet: This is a form that provides basic information about the case, such as the parties involved, the nature of the suit, and the basis for the court's jurisdiction.

4. Notice of Assignment to United States Judges: This notice informs the parties of the judge assigned to the case.

5. Notice to Parties of Court-Directed ADR Program: This notice informs the parties about the court's Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) program and their options for participating in it.

6. Standing Order: Some judges have standing orders that outline specific procedures or requirements for cases assigned to them. If applicable, the standing order should be included in the service package.

7. Scheduling Order: In some cases, the court may issue a scheduling order at the outset of the case, which sets deadlines for various stages of the litigation process. If one has been issued, it should be included in the service package.

8. Other Case-Specific Documents: Depending on the nature of the case, there may be additional documents that need to be served, such as exhibits or attachments to the complaint.

It's essential to check the Central District Court's Local Rules and the judge's specific requirements to ensure that you include all necessary documents in the service package. If you have any doubts, consult with the court clerk or an experienced attorney to ensure proper service of process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.