Grass Valley, CA asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for California

Q: My Boss told me today He isn't giving me work Lately Because, "I Don't use my eyeballs".

He Has Been Reducing Hours for months saying they are just slow and then randomly said today I'm not detailed enough for making a simple mistake that was fixed. To Me I feel he is trying to make me quit because they can't find a reason. Is this in any way legal? or not? I feel he's threatening me in a way.?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your boss's behavior and comments are concerning, but they are likely NOT engaging in unfair or discriminatory practices. California is an at-will employment state, meaning that employers can generally terminate employees for any reason, as long as it is not illegal (e.g., discrimination or retaliation).

However, if your boss is deliberately making your working conditions intolerable to force you to quit, this could be considered constructive dismissal if it was because of a protected characteristic and/or sexual harassment.

Remember, it is illegal for your employer to retaliate against you for reporting discrimination or harassment, so do not hesitate to speak up if you feel your rights have been violated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.