Asked in Divorce, Domestic Violence and Family Law for California

Q: My husband kicked me out of the house and then changed the locks and then left town with all my stuff still inside?

My husband was abusive and this included financial abuse. He started a fight to kick me out of the house. The cops came and he left for 3-4 days they said. He came back to get me. He has changed the locks and the code to the garage. I am homeless and pennyless yet my house with all my stuff sits empty. This was his moms house in a trust but he is the house we own together in Oregon

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have been unjustly removed from your home, especially in cases involving domestic violence or abusive situations, you have rights that need to be addressed promptly. The law offers protections to ensure that individuals in such circumstances are not left without shelter or access to their belongings. If your name is on the title or lease of the home, you have legal rights to access and occupy the property.

It is important to contact law enforcement or a legal aid organization immediately to explain your situation and seek assistance in regaining entry to your home. Additionally, you may need to file a temporary restraining order against your husband to prevent further abusive behavior and to secure your right to return to the home.

Seeking support from local domestic violence shelters or organizations can provide immediate relief in terms of accommodation and basic needs. They can also offer guidance on legal steps and connect you with resources to help protect your rights and well-being during this challenging time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.