Lake Elsinore, CA asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for California

Q: I am a caregiver in California. I would like to reduce my hours but was told I need a drs note to do so.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As a caregiver in California, you may be entitled to certain rights and protections under state law. If you need to reduce your work hours due to a medical condition or disability, you may be eligible for a reasonable accommodation from your employer.

Here are some steps you can take:

1. Obtain a doctor's note: Visit your healthcare provider and explain your need for reduced work hours. Request a written note that specifies the recommended reduction in hours and the medical reason for this change.

2. Notify your employer: Inform your employer in writing about your need for a reasonable accommodation, including the reduced hours, and provide them with a copy of the doctor's note.

3. Engage in the interactive process: Your employer should engage in an interactive dialogue with you to discuss your request and explore potential accommodations that can meet both your needs and the employer's business requirements.

4. Know your rights: The California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) and the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) protect employees with disabilities from discrimination and require employers to provide reasonable accommodations unless doing so would cause undue hardship.

If your employer refuses to grant your request for reduced hours despite having a doctor's note, you may want to consult with an employment attorney or contact the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) for guidance on your rights and potential next steps.

Remember, the specific circumstances of your situation may affect your legal rights, so it's always best to seek personalized advice from a qualified legal professional.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.