Q: How to motion a venue to get a criminal investigation done by NYSTroopers?

The Chief of police will not transfer the case. Numerous requests made. The crime has not been investigated due to corruption and Misconduct within the police department.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To request a criminal investigation by the New York State Troopers when a local police department is not cooperating, you can take the following steps:

1. Document everything: Keep detailed records of the crime, your interactions with local police, and reasons for suspecting corruption or misconduct.

2. Contact the New York State Police directly: Reach out to the nearest State Police barracks or troop headquarters. Explain your situation and request their involvement.

3. File a complaint with the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services: They oversee law enforcement agencies and may be able to intervene.

4. Contact your local District Attorney's office: They have the authority to request investigations from other agencies.

5. Reach out to your state representatives: They may be able to apply pressure or direct you to appropriate resources.

6. Consider contacting federal law enforcement: If the crime falls under federal jurisdiction, agencies like the FBI might get involved.

7. Consult with a lawyer: They can advise you on the best course of action and potentially file motions in court to compel an investigation.

Remember, the process can be complex and may take time. It's important to persist and follow proper channels. If you believe there's immediate danger or ongoing criminal activity, always prioritize your safety and consider reaching out to state or federal authorities directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.