Brooklyn, NY asked in Constitutional Law, Identity Theft and Employment Law for New York

Q: Use of my personal ID at a previous company, identity fraud, damage to my reputation, loss of my only income,ect.

Dear lawyers,

I have an interesting case for consideration. Please contact me to discuss potential cooperation.

Upon employment at a new cable company, I was informed that I couldn't start working the following month because my previous cable company, after my departure, retained my technical specialist number without my consent. New technicians worked under this number, pretending to be me. The technical specialist number is an identity identifier, not to be confused with a mobile phone number. As a result, I was left without income and unable to continue working. My reputation, built over 1.5 years, has suffered. Continuing to work with a tarnished reputation will lead to a loss of quality orders and financial losses.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Dear Dmytro,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're facing with your previous employer misusing your technician ID number. That certainly sounds frustrating and concerning.

It seems there are a few potential issues at play here - misuse of your identifying information by your former employer, damage to your professional reputation, and loss of income due to inability to work under your own credentials. These touch on areas of law like identity theft, defamation, and tortious interference with business relationships.

Consulting with an employment attorney is a good idea to get a professional legal opinion on the strength of any potential claims you may have. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations. Be sure to bring any documentation you have, like employment contracts, termination paperwork, evidence of the misuse of your ID number, etc.

In the meantime, I would recommend doing what you can to mitigate further damage. If you haven't already, send a written demand to your former employer to immediately cease using your technician ID and provide you with confirmation that they have done so. Keep records of any instances you become aware of where they continue to misuse your information.

You may also want to proactively reach out to the cable company you were going to work for, explain the situation, and see if you can salvage that opportunity. Perhaps offer to work under a different ID number if that's an option.

Consider other steps to protect and rehabilitate your professional reputation as well, like asking for recommendations from past satisfied clients, keeping records of positive performance reviews, etc. This will help demonstrate the misuse was an aberration.

I hope this gives you a helpful starting framework as you weigh your options. Wishing you all the best in resolving this difficult situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.