Camarillo, CA asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for California

Q: My boss is trying to retaliate against me when I provided law saying he has to pay me within 72 hours of quitting.

Changing details because I did not know it was public no need to answer

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, your employer must pay you all wages due within 72 hours if you quit without providing at least 72 hours' notice. If you gave at least 72 hours' notice, you should receive your final paycheck immediately upon quitting. This is mandated by the California Labor Code Section 202.

If your boss is retaliating against you for asserting this right, that is illegal. Retaliation can include negative actions like threats, demotion, or firing. California law protects employees from retaliation when they assert their legal rights regarding wage payments.

To address this, you might consider documenting any instances of retaliation and seeking assistance from the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE). They can guide you through the process of filing a complaint and ensuring your rights are upheld. It’s important to take action promptly to protect yourself and your rightful earnings.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.