Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Tax Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Vermont Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Vermont on
Q: How would I go about fixing a non filing for a few years issue?

I have been in a dark place for about 15 years now and just haven't filed. I know that I am facing fines as well as an audit. that being said what can I expect and how harsh can these fines be? I really do need to take care of this issue. Been heavy on my mind for a few years.

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
answered on Apr 13, 2020

You should start with a consultation with a tax attorney. Just stay away from the places you see advertised on TV. You do not want to just start filing returns. If you were not entitled to a refund you will be assessed several penalties as well as interest. Working with a tax attorney will... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Tax Law for Vermont on
Q: Can I apply stock market capital losses to my federal student loans to pay them off?
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
answered on Jul 7, 2019

No, that doesn't make any sense.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Vermont on
Q: Where should I go to find old W2s from 2002, 2001, 2002?

I used to live in VA. The State of VA contacted my current employer in 2011 and attempted to garnish my wages. They claim that I never had state taxes with held for the years 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2004 and that I owed them $ 6,252.69 in back taxes, interest, and penalties.

VA never once... View More

Zaher Fallahi
Zaher Fallahi
answered on Nov 19, 2013

That may be really tough. Try the employer first for the W-2. Alternatively, ask them to reconstruct the W-2 equivalent from their information or use their best estimate. Are you sure you were even employed then? Consult a tax attorney for more advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.