Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Tax Law for New York on
Q: What say does a beneficiary (me) have concerning how cash assets are distributed? Executor chose, not the deceased.

We are in NY State. Brother (executor) wants to distribute over 4 years (tax reasons): I prefer lump sum or 2 years. Can the cash be distributed in different ways to different beneficiaries? If not, does this require a legal intervention?

David Ostrove
David Ostrove
answered on Jun 30, 2022

The trust language controls. The Trustee must administer the trust strictly in accordance with the Settlor's intentions.

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Banking for Florida on
Q: What kind of lawyer do I need? And what are the charges?

I’m a Malaysian. Bought a land with LLC years old in Fort Myers. The land was put into an auction . Received a surplus check. But could not claim it due to it is in LLC .

I need someone to help me in claiming the surplus. What kind of lawyer do I look for . And how much is the charges?... Read more »

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Jun 29, 2022

You may be able to reinstate the LLC by paying the required amount to the Department of Corporations. If that's possible and the LLC is once again active, you may be able to negotiate the check. Checks have an expiration date, so you don't want to wait too long.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Banking for Florida on
Q: I’m from Malaysia , years ago I bought a land with LLC, tax wasn’t pay , company not active.

Then the land was put into auction I think. Now they gave me a surplus disbursement check . I cannot claim it directly with my name ,on my country. How can I claim the money. I was planing to open another LLC same name but my country don’t have LLC. They have LLP or BHD . Or Can I hire a lawyer... Read more »

Jane Kim
Jane Kim
answered on Jun 29, 2022

A lawyer cannot "claim" it for you, but can help you navigate this transaction. I recommend contacting the county or whomever issued you the check to re-issue it to you individually in your name. If that does not work, you may need a lawyer to figure out next steps.

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Traffic Tickets for Washington on
Q: I am stationed in Washington state as part of the military I bought a brand new motorcycle from a dealer in Oregon.

I am waiting on the dealership to send a check for tax, title and registration for Washington. I was told by the dealership that I have 30 days to register it in washington before incurring fees. I was also told by the dealership that as long as I have the motorcycle insured and have proof of... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for New Mexico on
Q: In New Mexico if you own land with two others. But only you have paid taxes for 20yrs. Can you remove other owners?

I live on this land and the others do not. I want to be solo owner of my land since I have lived and paid taxes by myself.

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for California on
Q: i want to claim adverse possession of this property that went up for auction aprill 22 i only need to pay the taxes cani

the owner brought me here 56 years ago to care take the property but once i was here started making sexual advances touching me i had to call police twicw they snuck up and heard everthing the second time n told me to sue him for sexual harassment he has more money than god and i tthink he must... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Tax Law for Ohio on
Q: Just took a walk on my property (OH). My neighbor chopped down a bunch of my trees and destroyed the boundary line fence
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
answered on Jun 25, 2022

Take photos, get a surveyor to mark the boundary, get an arborist to determine the value of trees lost and cost of replacement, and cost to replace fence. Contact your insurance agent, ask your neighbor to pay your monetary damages, and use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local attorney to... Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for South Carolina on
Q: Do i have to get sr22n pay reinstatement fees if i lost my lic for just property tax

Do i have to get sr22and pay reinstatement fees if i only lost my lic for property tax

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law and Gov & Administrative Law for New Mexico on
Q: What laws are violated if a private club give alcohol away by 'donations' instead of getting a liquor license.

There is a private organization, that others similar have a 'club' liquor license. However, this individual location refuses to obtain a liquor license, instead they purchase alcohol from the regular stores. Instead of charging its members, they give the alcohol away after a... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for New Jersey on
Q: Do you put a purchase price on a deed transfer when both parents on deed are deceased and property was given in will?

Are there any tax penalties now or in the future for us? Someone said just put $1 as purchase price but the house is paid off and there is no mortgage

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Products Liability and Tax Law for Florida on
Q: Bank Not Honoring Signing Promotion offer/Contract

When doing my taxes through TurboTax this year I opened a new account with Credit Karma as they offered a sign up bonus along with the account. I have a screenshot of the offer and am email with the promotion terms conditions and their customer service team confirming I met requirements... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for California on
Q: im starting a business in asset recovery and looking for a lawyer that can help me.

I will be helping people recover excess proceeds from tax foreclosures. I will need a lawyer to help that has experience in different states excess proceeds laws. I just want to make sure everything is filed correctly so we can recover the assets for the people that are owed.

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Hi, How to transfer Ownership of a company from a person to a holding company . Its located on Boston

Transfer Ownership of a company from a person name to be under a holding company . Its located on Boston

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.