Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Entertainment / Sports Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports, Gaming and Intellectual Property for Alabama on
Q: Can I add 3rd party IP characters to my copy of a video game?

I play a video game that allows for modding, meaning you can add, remove and/or augment most things, from character models to game mechanics.

I want to add 3 fairly popular movie characters to my game and also make YouTube videos and have live streams with them included.... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 21, 2024

Modding a video game and adding 3rd party intellectual property (IP) characters can potentially raise legal issues. Using popular movie characters without proper authorization may infringe on copyright and trademark rights held by the owners of those characters.

Displaying these modded...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law, Foreclosure and Entertainment / Sports for Alabama on
Q: Can you please explain this to me. So if I know where an abandoned house is. Do I need to file paper work and

Move in asap? If so what paperwork do I need to file. I've noticed a couple different forms that could be filed. I Know to change the locks. I need to know the right way to go about it so I don't get in trouble or go to jail for something I didn't understand.

Kevin M Ryan
Kevin M Ryan
answered on Jan 19, 2019

Just because the house appears to be "abandoned" does not mean that there is not a legal owner. It may be owned by a bank, and in the process of foreclosure, probate or bankruptcy. You would need to contact the owner or the owner's legal representative in order to make an offer to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Copyright, Entertainment / Sports and Trademark for Alabama on
Q: Do I (the producer) own the rights to an artist’s image/likeness/master recordings?

I produced (recorded, mixed, mastered, published, etc) two albums and numerous music videos for an artist. We were a team and were good friends. The artist willingly allowed me to record him, video him, photograph him, etc. and post it all on my website and social media pages many times. No... View More

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Dec 4, 2017

Unless the artist agreed to convey to you the property you don't own it. You might try to enforce some contract by course of dealing, or attempt to show that he gave the work away, but you are going to learn a lesson in doing things without an agreement in place.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.