Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Domestic Violence legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Connecticut Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Landlord - Tenant for Connecticut on
Q: What can be done when a landlord violates the rights of a victim of domestic violence?

I vacated a property before lease end due to domestic violence under CT general statute and notified the landlord per CT laws. The landlord violated my rights as a victim of domestic violence by harassing me for 3 months after I vacated by emailing me up to 5 times per month demanding rent. What... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 30, 2024

If you find yourself in a situation where your landlord is violating your rights as a victim of domestic violence, it's important to understand the steps you can take to protect yourself and seek recourse. Under Connecticut law, victims of domestic violence have specific protections, including... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Connecticut on
Q: Can I file a complaint against HP for ignoring my request for emergency transfer

I’ve been complaining for a month about my ex-boyfriend who’s soon to be released he has been harassing me before he got incarcerated and I’m afraid he’s going to come back and hurt me or my children

Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie
answered on Aug 10, 2022

You need to file a Motion for a Restraining order. Here is the link to the CT Judicial Branch website on restraining orders.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Connecticut on
Q: CT code Sec. 53a-96.

Would this be classified as domestic violence charge if alleged victim is a gf and they have a kid together?

Allan F. Friedman
Allan F. Friedman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jul 11, 2019

The classification of a crime as domestic violence depends on two factors - 1. the relationship between the accused and the victim. A dating relationship would fall within the scope of the domestic violence statutes. 2. the nature of the crime is one of violence - unlawful restraint is a crime... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Connecticut on
Q: my bf back home in ct just got arrested for "criminal violence of protective order df" bond is 5k. how serious is this?
Matthew A. Crockett
Matthew A. Crockett
answered on Jul 9, 2019

Violations of any order of protection (e.g. restraining, standing, or protective) are treated seriously in Connecticut by the fact that these offenses are D felonies which carry possible jail of up to 5 years. However, how the offense will be viewed by prosecutors and judges depends on many... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Connecticut on
Q: Is it possible to have a domestic violence offense expunged from your record?
Jonathan Sills
Jonathan Sills
answered on Jul 9, 2018

Yes. If the offense was a Misdemeanor you are eligible to apply for a Pardon three years after the date of conviction. If the offense was a felony you are eligible to apply for a a Pardon five years after the date of conviction.

2 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Connecticut on
Q: My friend is being verbally and physically abused by her husband who is in a wheelchair can he be arrested for abuse?

I called the police last Tuesday two male and one female police officers showed up. The female took pictures of her arm which has a big bruise. The two males asked the husband if he wanted to press charges against her! He’s abusing her physically and mentally but because he’s in a wheelchair... View More

Lindy R. Urso
Lindy R. Urso
answered on Feb 8, 2018

Yes, if the man is abusing the person physically that is an Assault, and the verbal abuse most likely equates to Disorderly Conduct, Harassment or perhaps Threatening.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.