Indiana Entertainment / Sports Questions & Answers

Q: I'm 17. I want to copyright one of my songs. Is it possible that I can copyright it? Am I able to use it in court too?

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for Indiana on
Answered on Apr 14, 2017
Will Blackton's answer
Minors may claim copyright, and the Copyright Office issues registrations to minors, but state laws may regulate the business dealings involving copyrights owned by minors.

According to Rule 17 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure: The following representatives may sue or defend in federal court on behalf of a minor or an incompetent person:

(A) a general guardian;

(B) a committee;

(C) a conservator; or

(D) a like fiduciary.

This means that...

Q: My boy wants to have a live show for his rock band in my backyard, can he?Terre haute indiana

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports, Land Use & Zoning and Municipal Law for Indiana on
Answered on Sep 19, 2016
Paul Stanko's answer
A lot depends on the size of your backyard. You should probably review local ordinances on noise, parking, etc. Your municipality or political subdivision will have ordinances on file. If you have any concerns, contact an attorney, or perhaps even your zoning board.

Q: My friend will be visting from the UK. the TV station FOX TV wants him to perform 1 song with his band on their station.

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports for Indiana on
Answered on Jul 14, 2015
Adam Studnicki's answer
Generally speaking, people can perform their own music for free. The question here is whether it's a problem based on his immigration status in the USA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.