Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Montana Estate Planning Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Montana on
Q: .My significant other has no will. What are the consequences for me upon his death?

We reside together in the state of Montana. He has a storage locker filled with valuables. My name is listed on the storage locker paper work.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Jan 12, 2022

You are wise to be concerned about this. Single couples need to do estate planning more than just about any other demographic! The reason is, if a single person passes without a will or trust, his or her estate goes to the next of kin NOT TO THE UNMARRIED PARTNER. Also, if ANY person becomes... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Montana on
Q: Co-trustee and POA. I'm being asked by co-trustee to sign a contract outlining mom's care to get paid as caregiver.

My stepbrother and I are named as co-trustees and POAs over our parents. Dad passed. Mom has dementia. I am staying with her in Montana and caring for all her needs, paying her bills, arranging for assisted living in Bend, OR.

The Wills and Trusts state that one can be paid to take care of... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 17, 2019

A caregiver contract makes perfect sense in your situation. It also helps document that those payments are not gifts in case you ever need to apply for Medicaid for her. Otherwise they would be presumed to be gifts. Medicaid applicants are penalized for all gifts made within five years prior to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Montana on
Q: if our parents died without a will, would the court order that their land be sold, or could my siblings and I decide

ourselves how to divide it?

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Oct 30, 2019

It depends somewhat on whether the property must be sold to pay debts and the expenses of probate.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Montana on
Q: Who is the authorized person for a Coverdell ESA?

My son's grandmother setup a Coverdell ESA for my son. My understanding was that anyone can setup Coverdell ESA but a parent or legal guardian is the responsible person till child turns 18 or 21 (depending on the state laws). But, when I tried to take a distribution from the account, I was... Read more »

Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson answered on Mar 8, 2016

It probably depends upon how the account was set up. You should try writing the company and providing the information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.