Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Rhode Island Education Law Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Rhode Island on

Q: I go to boarding school and I am 18 years old. Can the school restrict use of tobacco products off campus by punishment?

Neville Bedford answered on Jan 11, 2018

Most likely yes, read the boarding contract carefully.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Juvenile Law and Municipal Law for Rhode Island on

Q: My son's catholic middle school has no basketball team program. Can he play for the Town Middle School Team??

We live in Rhode Island

Neville Bedford answered on Nov 27, 2017

Contact the town and see what they say.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Can a student that has been formally accelerated (skipped a grade) and passed classes be retained (held back)?

We just moved to Rhode Island from Wisconsin. I have a student entering 6th grade. In WI she was identified as a Tier 2 General Intelligence learner in the RTI framework and had a formal subject acceleration (skipped a grade) in math and received in-class enrichment in other subject areas. Her... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on Aug 21, 2016

Contact an attorney practicing in education law to review your documents, and plans, to help come up with a plan.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Rhode Island on

Q: What is the legal age to drop out of high school in Rhode Island?

Neville Bedford answered on May 28, 2016

Technically, it is not legal to drop out of school at any age as the law provides for mandatory attendance - with few exceptions.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Rhode Island on

Q: In Rhode Island in public high school once you turn 18, do you have adult rights in school or school related activities.

Neville Bedford answered on Mar 31, 2016

It depends on what type of rights you are alluding to ...

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Rules on students getting in trouble for posting things on social media

student got called down to deans because of posting something on twitter that was a picture with the basketball team that lost the state championship with an orge face. This student was on the winning basketball team.

Neville Bedford answered on Mar 16, 2016

Check the school policy manual. if you find it to encroach on constitutionality protected speech, enlist the services of a licensed attorney to assist you ion pressing these rights and voiding the offending policy, if any.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Did my daughter break the law by recording a public school teaching session?

She has a school issued Chromebook in Rhode island and has been having trouble with a teacher, fearing no one believed her she recorded audio of one of her class sessions. She was told by the school she broke the law in doing so.

Neville Bedford answered on Dec 16, 2015


1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Can a school district tell parents that parental rights are "open to interpretation" in regards to parcc testing?

EWG in RI just passed a policy saying there are no provisions for opting out of parcc testing..when citing my right to refuse under the due process clause of the 14th amendment they said my parental rights are open to interpretation....would love to nail them to the wall for their ignorance...where... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on Aug 24, 2015

A consultation with a local attorney specializing in Education Law would be an excellent place to start.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Rhode Island on

Q: Was the final decision unanimous or split in Brown vs Board of Education?

Neville Bedford answered on Feb 25, 2013


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.