Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Criminal Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Vermont Criminal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Vermont on
Q: is my landlord allowed to come into my apartment every month for check-ins, showings, and "fixes"?

My landlord has been in my apartment at least once every month since i signed a lease last year. Each time has been to look at work he wanted us to do, show the apartment to buyers and realtors, look at things that he claimed needed updating, and hiring people off the street to come in to do... View More

Kevin Lumpkin
Kevin Lumpkin
answered on Sep 26, 2023

Your landlord is permitted to enter your unit for one of four reasons:

(1) when necessary to inspect the premises;

(2) to make necessary or agreed repairs, alterations, or improvements;

(3) to supply agreed services; or

(4) to exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Military Law for Vermont on
Q: Did Vermont adopt title 10 UCMJ for it's title 32 guardsmen?
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 18, 2023

No, Vermont has not adopted Title 10 of the United States Code, which includes the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), for its Title 32 guardsmen.

Title 32 of the United States Code governs the National Guard when it is not in federal service, while Title 10 governs the National Guard...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Vermont on
Q: I'm being sued for personal injury (overnight hospital stay) sustained to a postal carrier, on my property.

I received a demand letter from an attorney, whose client was alleging he ate cannabis edible cookies he found in my mailbox, the week before Christmas. On the alleged date of his injury, we were not home, and had no knowledge of any cookies. We do live in a legal state (Vermont), and occasionally... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Jun 14, 2019

This is a bit bizarre but nonetheless you should not give the attorney anything but turn it over to your homeowners and let them handle it. They will hire an attorney for you if you are sued. By the way no more posting on social websites--this one included. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Vermont on
Q: Looking for help finding a supreme court case on cell phone searches

Hi, this probably isn't a request you get often but I'm in desperate need of some help. I'm in the middle of a law midterm and I'm searching for a landmark supreme court case in which someone is arrested and their cell phone is seized. The phone isn't locked and the... View More

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Mar 18, 2019

If this is a school assignment, then you should not be obtaining assistance from an outsider. I believe this is a violation of your honor code.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Criminal Law for Vermont on
Q: Will a consular ID card and international drivers license allow you to purchase ammunition in the state of Vermont?

I'm having a hard time finding an answer for this question. This is a fictional scenario, but I need to know if a non-U.S. citizen who only has an international drivers license and a consular ID card would be able to purchase ammunition and magazines in the state of Vermont. I see the state of... View More

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
answered on Jun 13, 2018

This is not an immigration question. You need to consult with a criminal attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Vermont on
Q: If someone has been charged with simple assault with mutual affray is it a non listed offense?

Would you still be eligible for work camp?

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Oct 12, 2015

Get counsel on your side. The attorney you hire will investigate all the facts and circumstances and advise you accordingly.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Vermont on
Q: In Vermont is it legal for a 17 year old girl to have sex with a 20 year old guy? The age of consent is 16...

I'm 17 and my boyfriend is 20. We have been together for over two years now. We've never had sex because of my age, but now that i'm 17 is it legal?

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Aug 20, 2015

It appears that the age of consent is 16 in Vermont. Do a simple internet search on this and read some of the results.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.