Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Georgia Family Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Georgia on
Q: Can I request a bank statement to show the judge how my ex-husband was able to pay his bills?

My ex-husband filed child support modification due to a job loss, after COVID his company closed, my ex has an engineering degree, 12 y exp, judge ordered him to look for a job we had a court in June before the final hearing. My ex still can't find a job, he’s been out of work for almost a... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Aug 30, 2021

It's possible to subpeona bank records so you can track spending and income. There isn't an easy way to explain the process. You have to issues the subpoenas, give notice to the other side and also know how to get them into evidence.

You should probably hire an attorney to assist you.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: Can the other parent restrict the other from visitation based on awaiting Covid results? Court appointed
Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore answered on Jul 30, 2021

The best response I can provide would be to tell you -- it depends. The law in general is always going to boil down to precisely what has happened and precisely what has occurred in court and precisely what court rulings have been made. Your question assumes that a "yes" or... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia on
Q: I am Pro Se and would like a continuance to withdrawal from the final hearing via zoom. I want an in-person hearing.

How do I make this request being Pro Se?

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Mar 17, 2021

This may not be possible. Zoom hearings are standard because of the pandemic. Judges are required to hold via zoom absent an emergency.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Civil Litigation for Georgia on
Q: Who gets the benefits for Covid relief and dependent tax credit due to custody change in year 2020. See more details!

My ex ended up claiming the kids on taxes and received all the COVID relief money 1st, 2nd, and it looks like the 3rd. Below is the history and im looking for who is the rightful owner of this. Also Ive tried discussing it with the other party several times and the reply i get is "not up for... Read more »

Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards answered on Mar 8, 2021

If you have primary custody, you can claim the children as dependents. You can't do anything about the COVID relief money. If your ex owes you child support since September, you can file a contempt for that.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: how to file a motion to intervene to gain custody or at least fair visitation of my grandson from other grandparent

The other grandparents have taken my grandson from my daughter under complicated circumstances to which I was not privy too nor given the chance to intervene they are in the process of seeking custody but not allowing me to see my grandchild while they have temporary custody. I don't have any... Read more »

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV answered on Mar 4, 2021

You may be able to petition for some visitation rights, but it would require working with an attorney. Try contacting Legal Aid to see if you qualify for free legal assistance. You can also try calling the state bar to see if there is a pro bono attorney in your area.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: I have main custody tho its joint custody our child is 2 the mother barley calls him when she haves 3 times atleast a


V. Joy Edwards
V. Joy Edwards answered on Jul 31, 2020

Very difficult. Terminating another parent’s rights is not something the Judges do often unless it’s in regards to an adoption. It would be easier getting an order to limit her visitation.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Georgia on
Q: My son lives in Utah and has a Final Visitation Order in place from GA. It states his daughter can travel to UT from GA

when she turns age 6, which will be this July. Mother is denying travel/visitation to UT due to Coronavirus. Can she do this?

Mike Branum
Mike Branum answered on Jul 6, 2020

I agree with Mr. Wood. I would also consider the additional complications which the panic over corona has created. I have not had to worry about unaccompanied minor air travel for a few years now. I have zero idea how the current situation has changed airline policies regarding UMs. The changes to... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: Court ordered visitation of my daughter.

I tried to pick up my daughter for my court ordered visitation for Spring Break/Easter. Her mother refused to give her to me, citing the Corona virus. However, she allowed her other child to go with that child’s father. We asked City of Griffin police to step in and help us. They went and talked... Read more »

Michael D. Barber Jr.
Michael D. Barber Jr. answered on Apr 5, 2020

You need to file a motion for contempt with the court. Most courts are still enforcing provisions for custody through the covid 19 infection. You could also file other motions as well. Unfortunately because of the nature of these actions it isn't technically criminal.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.