Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 North Carolina Family Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for North Carolina on
Q: My Wife's family all have COVID. She wants to bring our 1 yr old to their home for a full week. Do I have legal options?

My soon to be ex wife is taking my son out of state to her parents home where at least 4 people have COVID. Are there any legal routes I can follow if my soon contracts COVID while there?

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow answered on Mar 5, 2021

If you don't have an existing custody case, I would consider filing one ASAP. If you have an existing case, you may want to file a Motion for Emergency Custody before she leaves alleging that the child will be exposed to a substantial risk of bodily injury. Some judges may agree that such a... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can the custodial parent take away visitation if you’re behind on child support?

Income decreased due to covid. Still paying monthly but struggling to pay the full amount. Need my income legally re evaluated. But she won’t let me see my child.

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow answered on Dec 1, 2020

No, visitation and the payment of child support are completely independent of one another. Failure to pay support is not a valid reason to withhold visitation. If visitation is being denied, you may have to file a motion for contempt for her violation of the custody order.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for North Carolina on
Q: If there's a court order can a parent deny visitation because she's worried about covid?

Mom from Arkansas is saying she's worried about covid so she will not bring minor child to meet dad from NC in TN for Christmas break. There are court orders for visitation for summer and Christmas. Child was with dad this past summer.

Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson answered on Nov 23, 2020

Worried in general - likely not and if she does deny visitation on that basis alone, you can likely have her popped pretty hard for it depending on the terms of the Order. Worried because you or someone in your immediate family you reside with has Covid or there are travel bans or some other... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can i get emancipated from her?

Hello I have a mother who is borderline emotionally abusive, she tells me i make everyone miserable constantly, blames me for everything that goes wrong and more. I am 16, can I move out and live with a friend legally. Can i get emancipated from her?

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow answered on Aug 28, 2020

Maybe, but these aren't easy actions to 'win' and it would be something you wouldn't be able to do yourself. To able to file, you have to be 16 (check) and have lived in the same county for 6 months (don't know). To successfully emancipate yourself, you are going to have... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: State: NC What are my rights as husband if I move out of our residence prior to reaching divorce agreement?

Married 22 years, two children ages 18 and 21. Youngest child currently living at home while enrolled in college taking online classes during COVID. Wife has been stay at home mom entire marriage. We have reached an impasse on our relationship. I need to move out to avoid further arguing and... Read more »

Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow answered on Aug 18, 2020

This question can only be fully answered through a consultation with a family law attorney. That said, you've got to consider (1) how to equitably divide your marital property, and you've got to consider (2) whether any spousal support should be paid.

The property that needs to...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: My 16 & 15 y/o have been staying with my mom during covid19. now they refuse to come home. how to i make them come home

I am a registered nurse and work in the emergency dept. my kids have been social distancing from me to keep them safe. We live in NC. I have full sole custody of them.

Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas answered on May 5, 2020

Generally, unless your mother has legal custody (a court order, giving her custody), she cannot keep them without your permission (that's potentially kidnapping). She must have either your permission, or the other parent's permission, to keep them. That's the legal part.

Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.