Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Oregon Family Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Oregon on
Q: How long is the process to petition the court to move out of state if I have joint custody?

I have physical custody and he has her every other weekend and a couple weeks in the summer. He told me he will not allow me to move. Financially this is best for me and educationally right now is best for her.

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
answered on Nov 3, 2020

Subject to the court's availability during COVID 19, a hearing in most relocation cases can usually be heard within 3-5 months of when Father files his objection to the move. Often, the objection is accompanied by a motion to change custody and/or parenting time. The process usually begins... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Oregon on
Q: The parenting plan says, “when the child is not attending school, follow the summer schedule” is distance learning

Considered attending school? Do we stay on the summer schedule or do we go back to the school schedule?

Jessica Larsen
Jessica Larsen
answered on Sep 25, 2020

This is a difficult question to answer, because this situation has not been addressed by a court yet, due to the novelty of COVID. For the sake of stability of the children, I would be inclined to think a judge would require the parties to follow the school schedule, despite the distance learning,... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Oregon on
Q: Can a parent with sole custody determine who pu and returns children for weekend visitation if not noncustodial parent?

Noncustodial parent has girlfriend who has harassed and threatened custodial parent to where it is confrontational when she picks up 3 minor children for father. Text messages back it all up. Motion to prevent her from being present or alone in picking up children or from driving them to Seattle... View More

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Apr 15, 2020

No you can't unilaterally dictate terms of your parenting plan. You can change it by mutual agreement with the other parent. I am going to assume that this isn't likely.

If the parenting plan doesn't specify who picks up the children and you are having problems with...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Oregon on
Q: I am currently going through a divorce, and have a restraining order filed on me since November for false accusations.

We also have two children that I have not seen since November. We agreed on a parenting plan in court, and than I found out dhs and liberty house were investigating, I was told if there was no fault, visitation would begin in January. DHS finally called me last month and said there was no fault,... View More

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Apr 6, 2020

You will need to contact an Attorney directly and ask for assistance. Justia only offers you the chance to ask questions and meet Attorneys who have profiles on Justia. Sadly the courts have very limited services and are not setting trials until the emergency pandemic orders have lifted. Most... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.