Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Virginia Family Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Virginia on
Q: My stepson is 18 and due to COVID, he graduated from high school on May 1st.

Does my husband need to go to Court to get the child support terminated? Or can he just stop paying it?

Michael Christopher Miller
Michael Christopher Miller
answered on May 4, 2020

The best practice would be to submit an agreed order to the court noting that both parties agree that the support obligation has expired.

However, given the times and the court closures, simply stopping payment could work as well.

The issue is that the other side, if they are...
View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.