Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Laura Ann Daniels
3 Answers | Asked in Family Law for New York on
Q: Do I have to share the money I receive from claiming my son on my taxes with the father? Never married
Laura Ann Daniels
Laura Ann Daniels answered on Jan 26, 2020

No. If you are the custodial parent, you have the right to the dependency exemption.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for New York on
Q: Hello i just received a phone call 9 years later apparently i have a child

I am not sure what will happen, She texted me i haven't spoken to her in years and telling me that she is filing for child support that they are going to suspend my license and prosecute me jesus what just happened. when she files for child support do i have to pay for the last 8 years ?

Laura Ann Daniels
Laura Ann Daniels answered on Nov 30, 2017

No, you will only be responsible for support from date of filing of the petition. But, first she should prove that you are the father. You should ask for paternity to be established by DNA testing.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New York on
Q: I've been with my partner for 15 years. We believe that means we're in a common law marriage. Is that correct?
Laura Ann Daniels
Laura Ann Daniels answered on Aug 25, 2016

No, New York does not recognize common law marriage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.