Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Meg Strickler
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Georgia on
Q: Is the search warrant valid if it has the wrong address?
Meg Strickler
Meg Strickler answered on Apr 18, 2021

A lot depends on the specific circumstances surround the situation. If there is a valid issue with the search warrant, we can fight it by filing a motion to suppress in court and hope the judge will suppress whatever was seized during the search.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Montana on
Q: When a residence is raided by law enforcement they leave behind a property sheet of items they took, at the top it says

Property receipt, I’ve been told that I can go retrieve the items they took from my room. Is this true , as they took $ 2300.00 from me that I had been saving. No charges have filed on any of the individuals there nor the home owner.

Meg Strickler
Meg Strickler answered on Mar 1, 2021

I would advise that you contact a lawyer to attempt to get your items back. Since there was a search warrant executed where you live, it may mean that there is an active investigation and thus it may not be a good idea to speak to law enforcement without representation.

Charges could...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Georgia on
Q: What's the difference between a probation hold? And a probation arrest warrant? And why isn't it done at the same time?

My fiance was arrested for aggravated battery 27 days ago. He went for bond hearing the 2nd day of him being arrested. The judge let him know the probation has a hold on him. 27 days later he was served with an arrest warrant for probation violation?

I thought everyone is innocent until... Read more »

Meg Strickler
Meg Strickler answered on Mar 1, 2021

Your fiancé violated the terms of his original probation with the new arrest. In all cases, when one is put on probation, there is a statement that says "while on probation do not violate any laws" or something to that effect. So, an ARREST not conviction will trigger a probation... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Georgia on
Q: Does a 'Felony' come off of someone's record after a certain period? Can a marijuana sell/distribution be expunged?

In 2007, I was charged with a Drug Felony for Possession/Manufacturing/Sell/Distribution of Marijuana in Douglas County. They (Police) actually Kicked our doors in while I was @ work. I was called and had to leave out of surgery. When me and my mother got there; They had already left with my... Read more »

Meg Strickler
Meg Strickler answered on Dec 11, 2020

Unfortunately, in Georgia, you can no longer expunge your record. The new term is "restriction" and your case doesn't qualify for restriction. So, it will remain on your record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.