Questions Answered by Tara Candela R.N., Esq.

Q: In virginia if I have sole custody of a child do I have to go to court to change the previous order?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 18, 2015
Tara Candela R.N., Esq.'s answer
To have the order officially changed, yes. But unless there is something in the original order preventing your child from staying with his father, you could always test out your theory before making major changes. Seek a family law attorney out to evaluate the specifics of your case, and to give you the best guidance on how to go about addressing whatever change in circumstance has occurred before you do anything.

Q: Do you think I can get full rights of my daughter back?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 11, 2015
Tara Candela R.N., Esq.'s answer
You will have to show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the custody order was entered, and you will have to show that living with you is in your daughter's best interest. If you truly believe it's in your daughter's best interest to live with you now, I encourage you to find an attorney to help you. While planning for this change, do everything in your power to remain rational and do not let the poor conduct of others influence your reactions.

Best wishes,...

Q: I'm owed 47,000 and the guy wrote me a bad check for 6500. What can I do? How do I file in circuit court?

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 11, 2015
Tara Candela R.N., Esq.'s answer
You will need to file in Circuit Court due to the amount. Some court websites have a great deal of information to assist the public with filing. You can try to look there first, or contact an attorney for assistance. Unfortunately, if this guy wrote you a bad check for $6500, you may have some trouble collecting on the judgment even after you get one. But it might be possible to obtain a wage garnishment of some sort, but in any event you'll need the judgment first. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.