Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by James Geoffrey Beirne
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for California on
Q: I need a lawyer to work with my sister who is deaf but reads lips. One who treats her with respect.

She wants to make sure her son and daughter inherit jointly the rights to her home, which is being somewhat blocked by her daughter. She is in Huntington Park, CA.

James Geoffrey Beirne
James Geoffrey Beirne
answered on Oct 15, 2019

Every client deserves respect. Your sister can have a Revocable Living Trust that specifically divides the home evenly between her son and daughter. How is the daughter blocking your sister's wishes?

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for California on
Q: Can illegal immigrant applying 4 a green card thru marriage be eligible for adjustment of status if they entered illegal

Man brought here in 2003 when only 4 years old! Mom abandoned him and older sister (she is now 28) here 6 years ago. Hasn't committed any crimes. Just wants to get a green card once we get married. (I'm a US citizen born here).

James Geoffrey Beirne
James Geoffrey Beirne
answered on Apr 23, 2018

If you came into the country without documentation you will have to consular process. That means that you will file your spousal petition I-130 then when it gets approved you make an appointment to process through the consulate, e.g. Ciudad Juarez. They will ask for a waiver of your unlawful... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Health Care Law for California on
Q: How can I add my domestic partner to my work health insurance if she dosent have a social security number

Or a ITIN number

James Geoffrey Beirne
James Geoffrey Beirne
answered on Jan 26, 2018

If you marry, then you can file a spousal petition for an immediate relative. Your partner will get work authorization and a social security number very quickly.

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for California on
Q: is chapter 13 multiple bankruptcy filing within a year or a calendar year (jan 1st -dec 31)?
James Geoffrey Beirne
James Geoffrey Beirne
answered on Sep 5, 2017

The Code says within a year which means the 12 months preceding.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Immigration Law for California on
Q: I only have my daca and do to the financial situation I'm in I'm considering to file bankrupcey. Could this affect me?

Could this affect me in any way immigration wise? Like fileing to become resident in the feature? Renewing daca? Or risk of deportation?

James Geoffrey Beirne
James Geoffrey Beirne
answered on Jun 15, 2017

The filing of a bankruptcy will not effect your ability to adjust status in the future. §525 of the Bankruptcy Code says that the government cannot discriminate against you merely for having filed for protection under the Code. As far as your DACA, have you considered applying for Advance... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.