Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Sarah E. Kay
1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Florida on
Q: If my daughter turns 18, but is still in highschool, but left mothers care and moved in with a boyfriend

She is starting senior year..but turns 18 in a few months, moved out of her moms house and in with a boyfriend, has possesion of child support card and collects the money directly.

I understand child support continues in most cases if still in higjschool..but how does her moving out of... View More

Sarah E. Kay
Sarah E. Kay
answered on Aug 9, 2018

The statutes which may be applicable to the scenario described would be:

* Fla. Stat. s61.13(1)(a) - providing, in relevant part, that child support is to terminate on a child's birthday unless the court finds or previously found that Fla. Stat. s.743.07(2) applies, or is otherwise...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Florida on
Q: What is the process to request a change of venue regarding nonpayment of child support/contempt of court in Alabama?

Noncustodial parent in arrears of $39,000, paying NO child support which places him in contempt of the court order. Current venue is profoundly rank with conflict of interest and obstruction of justice.

Sarah E. Kay
Sarah E. Kay
answered on Aug 8, 2018

There are several potential legal issues embedded in your question such as contempt, enforcement, and jurisdiction. You should consult with qualified family law attorney to explore all your options. You may want to consider conferring with an attorney in the jurisdiction of the court which... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Florida on
Q: What are my rights as a single parent and owning a home with my husband ?

Bought a home with my husband, we decided not to be together and he left me with the home. I was a stay at home mom with 2 kids, neither of the children are his. Our home isn't paid off. I was left with noway of paying for the bills and don't have a car as well. Not sure what my rights... View More

Sarah E. Kay
Sarah E. Kay
answered on Aug 3, 2018

The answer to your question will depend on several factors including, but not limited to, whether or not you and your husband will be or are getting a divorce and each of your respective financial circumstances. You should consult with a qualified family law attorney who can explain the options... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida on
Q: Do i need to give alimony to my spouse? if so how much approximately and for how long. Where do i get more info on alim

I am from Florida. I filed a divorce at 15 years and 8 months of our marriage., I make 110k yearly(gross including bonus,increment,401k matching and pension). My spouse income is variable. Last year she made 60k and this years 42k. My case is going on for almost 2 years. it will going for trial. My... View More

Sarah E. Kay
Sarah E. Kay
answered on Jul 29, 2018

Questions about whether or not alimony will be awarded are very fact specific. You should consult with a qualified family law attorney about your specific situation.

For FAQ and answers about alimony in Florida you can read more at:

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida on
Q: Can I change my son's name, or add a second last name, myself?

My son is 12 years old. His biological father is military, stationed in Iowa (we live in Florida), he hasn't seen him in 6+ years and hasn't spoken to him in 3+ years. He does pay $600 a month in child support plus $200 for school clothes\supplies each new school year with no court order.... View More

Sarah E. Kay
Sarah E. Kay
answered on Jul 28, 2018

Typically both parents must consent to a child’s name change or a court may order a child’s name change over a parent’s objection in certain circumstances if it is in the child’s best interest. If you have questions about your specific circumstances, you should speak with a qualified... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Florida on
Q: getting divorced wife is buying a property and wants me to sign some papers pertaining to her mortage what should i do
Sarah E. Kay
Sarah E. Kay
answered on Jul 27, 2018

It is never in your best interest to sign any documents you do not fully understand. You should always read documents fully and completely and ask any questions that you may have of someone qualified to answer them before you decide whether or not to sign. Florida has certain homestead laws that... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.