Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Heather Travar
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for New Jersey on
Q: My Green Card is expring in July 2017. Can I apply for N400?

I am eligible for citizenship. If needed Can I apply for green card renewal with pending N400?

Heather Travar
Heather Travar answered on Feb 13, 2017

You don't have to apply for citizenship. You can choose to simply renew your greencard. If you would like to become a citizen, it's important to make sure you are eligible. Some reasons that might make an applicant ineligible can lead to removal and not just a denial of the application.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law on
Q: HI, I'm an Australian Citizen have a B2 visa as my girlfriend lives in the USA I'm 57, retired and wish to live with her

I have travelled back and forth over the past 2 years to Portland OR to be with here and to comply with my B2 visa requirements. What are my best options to immigrate to the USA, we plan to marry.

Heather Travar
Heather Travar answered on Feb 13, 2017

Generally, the easiest and fastest process is to obtain a K1 Fiancee visa from outside the U.S. If you get married first, it will take a little longer. If you enter on your B2 with the intent to marry and stay in the U.S., you will violate the terms of your visa and you may not be entitled to any... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Re: I-797A

My wife is primary E2 applicant and I and my son are E2 Dependent. We have received our I797A Notice of action for approval of E2 but My wife got approved for 2 years and me and my son got approved only till Feb 24,2018. My son will become 21 on Feb 24,2018 so that fine for him, buy I don't... Read more »

Heather Travar
Heather Travar answered on Feb 11, 2017

E2 treaty investors are admitted for an initial two-year period. Dependents are in the same classification as the principal alien and are admitted for the same time period. It sounds like either you may be changing status or you're referring to the expiration of your visa. If you need... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: I am z permanent resident, I plant to travel outside of the USA. I have a driving without lisence and reckless driving?

Would any of those charges prevent me from entering the country under trumps new law? Thank you

Heather Travar
Heather Travar answered on Feb 11, 2017

You need to consult with an immigration attorney before leaving the country. The recent executive orders are broad enough to potentially include permanent residents. However, Trump aside, you still need to discuss the potential impact of these charges on your current immigration status and any... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina on
Q: How can i find out if an application for a green card that was done over 20 years ago is still valid?

My father applied for my green card when i was a teenager. By the time of the interview at the local consulate in my country, he had passed away. Is there any chance that the case is still open?

Heather Travar
Heather Travar answered on Feb 10, 2017

Normally, if you didn't respond or attend the interview, the case would have been denied and closed. I think your real question is whether you are eligible for a green card now. A lot can and usually does change in 20 years. A consultation should help you figure out what your options are now.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.