Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Krispen Culbertson
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: My 14 yr old son is threatening to runaway. Who can I contact to try and stop this before it happens
Krispen Culbertson
Krispen Culbertson answered on Oct 10, 2019

As much as I hate to say this, there aren't any good options, short of serious vigilance and professional counseling.

Your other options:

(a) Call the police, who will say they don't normally act in that kind of capacity -- still, they might agree to give him a talking to;...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Juvenile Law for North Carolina on
Q: Is it legal for a minor to be questioned without his gurdian or lawyer present in the state of North Carolina
Krispen Culbertson
Krispen Culbertson answered on Oct 8, 2019

It depends upon the context. Is it a criminal investigation or testimony (or witness interview) in a criminal case?

If it's criminal, yes. A cop can question a minor as part of a criminal investigation.

If it's civil, it depends on many things and we'd need to know if it's...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: During a separation can one spouse take the other to court to get money or visitation with kids?

He was on drugs and I put him out. He has taken personal possessions but I refuse to give him money. I know what he’ll do with it. Can he do anything before the year is up?

Krispen Culbertson
Krispen Culbertson answered on Sep 23, 2019

Yes, if there was a marriage, he theoretically can file as a "dependent spouse" for what is called post spousal support. He'd probably need to consult with and pay an attorney to figure this out, however. The pleading requirements are a little complicated. He could also ask for what is known as... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: I have a 50B no contact on my wife. After I told her I was separating because the relationship is toxic.

In my case I want to file for bed and board divorce and I’m moving our before the 10 days on the 50b. What if she files the bed and board before me? Or what if we both file at the same time?

Krispen Culbertson
Krispen Culbertson answered on Sep 16, 2019

The question itself doesn't make sense from a legal, procedural standpoint. Divorce from B&B and 50B are two very different things. I would suggest strongly that you get legal advice in person. Just call someone in your jurisdiction and set up a consultation.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can I be sued for visitation rights if I have proof by texts and pictures that the other parent has been making. Visits

I was served summons papers yesterday by ups

Krispen Culbertson
Krispen Culbertson answered on Sep 16, 2019

Yes, you can be sued for court ordered visitation in order to settle the rights of each party by court order.

At the hearing on that motion or suit you'll have the right to present your text evidence and to show the judge you've been acting in good faith and are therefore a fit parent to...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Probate for North Carolina on
Q: Right after my husband passed away I had a relapse in that time I signed everything over to his adult children .

His son manipulated me and told me he had the money to fight me and I would get nothing . His father and I had been split up for a year but I still took care of him . his son give me 5000 but my id wasn't even valid and I dont remember signing the papaers due to me doing pills trying to cope with... Read more »

Krispen Culbertson
Krispen Culbertson answered on Sep 3, 2019

A lot will depend on whether you can establish "duress" in forming the contract with the son. There is a presumption in North Carolina that absent a will, the biological children over a second wife, but this can be overcome with good evidence. If $5,000 was exchanged at time of your signature,... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for North Carolina on
Q: Farther has primary custody. He has not fixed minor child’s teeth in six months. What can I file to get him in trouble?

Father has primary custody. I only see minor child every other weekend. She has four cavities. I told him to get them fixed. He tells me he will but never does it. I can’t take her to dentist and do not have the policy number. He denies me the information. The temporary parental order doesn’t... Read more »

Krispen Culbertson
Krispen Culbertson answered on Aug 27, 2019

The custody agreement or order (if there is one) will provide the remedy. If the father is obligated under the consent or custody order -- or under a custody agreement -- to provide orthodontics services, your lawyer can make a motion to show cause for contempt to ask a judge to force him to do... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.