Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Stuart Gregory Steingraber

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for California on

Q: Will I be arrested at the airport if I fly into the country from abroad and I have a bench warrant against me?

Stuart Gregory Steingraber answered on Dec 16, 2018

Probably not. Bench warrants for failure to appear in civil matters are low on the Sheriff's priority list. Bench warrants for criminal matters are higher on the list. You don't say why you have a bench warrant outstanding so more information is needed to give you useful advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for New York on

Q: Can a debt collector call my work and talk to HR?

Stuart Gregory Steingraber answered on Dec 14, 2018

Generally, debt collectors are bound by the provisions of federal law, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If they do not have your home/cell number, it is allowed for them to contact YOU at work. Talking with HR about your indebtedness is not allowed. If they contact HR it can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Texas on

Q: Is there a limit as to how high an interest fee can be for a medical debt?

Stuart Gregory Steingraber answered on Dec 14, 2018

The amount of interest a service provider can charge is usually based on state law. Interest on loans may be lower than interest on services or goods sold. Check with a lawyer in your area. Some offer free consultations. Take them up on it.

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for Michigan on

Q: Can I get someone to collect on a loan if it was just a verbal agreement?

Stuart Gregory Steingraber answered on Dec 14, 2018

Yes. Verbal agreements are still considered contracts in the eyes of the law. That said, there are limitations, such as: contracts involving real estate must be writting; contracts to co-sign for a debt must be written; depending on the law in your state, contracts involving money over a certain... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Collections for Tennessee on

Q: If a bill is from 1999 and the water comp wrote it off in 2005, can they ask for payment of same bill in the yr 2018?

They say if we dnt pay the bill by a certain day, they will add it to our current service for payment. Can they do that?

Stuart Gregory Steingraber answered on Dec 14, 2018

Answering your question invites a discussion of the "statute of limitations". The law encourages prompt resolution of debt issues. The longer resolution is delayed, the greater the risk of harm to either party. Tennessee has established time limits on seeking the court's help in collecting a... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Small Claims and Collections for Massachusetts on

Q: I am being sued for credit debt from midland funding ,it is a old sears account,I would like to know what steps to

Stuart Gregory Steingraber answered on Dec 14, 2018

If you have any defenses to the lawsuit, you must assert them in your case or the plaintiff will win by default. Some defenses include: Statute of Limitations has passed and therefore the debt in unenforceable; you don't owe the debt because it was incurred in someone else's name and you were... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Contracts for Indiana on

Q: How do I collect on a $25,000 promissory note with a maturity date of December 31, 2018?

The individual that signed the promissory note is currently unemployed and is unable to work at this time as he has suffered an injury while on the job. It seems that he does not have any other assets that I can put a lien on at this time.

Stuart Gregory Steingraber answered on Dec 12, 2018

Sue and get a judgment anyway. In CA, it is good for 10 years and can be renewed for 10 year multiples in the future. CO probably has a similar arrangement. Good luck and God bless.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Collections for Indiana on

Q: Are you able to place a lien on a worker's compensation claim in the state of Indiana?

The lien would be placed as a means to pay off a promissory note.

Stuart Gregory Steingraber answered on Dec 12, 2018

Probably not because worker's comp awards are generally protected from creditor's claims. WC awards are intended to compensate a person injured on the job and not to pay the worker's debts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.